Friday, March 12, 2010

"Oh the pain, the pain..."

And I don't mean pain in the context of Dr. Smith. But pain = pan = tinapay = bread!!! And oh the pain, the delicious pain at Alexandre's French Bakery and Café!!!

I have many many favorite food memories of France. One of them was the aroma of fresh-from-the-oven baguettes wafting through the balcony our room. Leaving our bags unpacked, my traveling companion and I rushed down to the café just beside our hotel, our noses following that enticing bouquet, to grab some of that wonderful fresh-baked bread, smeared with real French butter and gruyere. Another is coming down to breakfast with my friends and fortifying ourselves with baskets of fresh croissants, loads of French butter, and pots of strong brewed coffee every morning.

Restless after more than a week of staying put in the suburbs, I took a needed break and joined my friends at Alexandre's French Bakery and Café - owned by Alexandre M. Guignard. It is located on 31st Street corner 1st Avenue at the Bonifacio Global City. And, trust me, here is where you can find the best French breads and croissants and/or relive the deliciously "pain"-ful memories of France.

I just loved loved loved the croissants! They were the buttery-est croissants I've ever had - crisp and flaky outside, and oh-so-delicious and melts-in-your-mouth soft inside! The owners recommend calling to find out when a fresh batch will be baked and to reserve. Or you could join the Alexandre Facebook Fanpage to get updates on their latest creations and events. The pain au chocolat was very good, too, although my friend RJ wished there was more chocolate in it (but then he's a chocoholic).The quiches were superb! I'd say they are the best quiches in Manila. Pricey, though, but rich and there was no stinting of the authentic ingredients - egg, cream, butter, gruyere cheese! And the crust so light yet so tasty! I've tried both the Quiche Lorraine with Spinach and the Smoked Salmon Quiche and I loved them both.

Alexandre's is open for breakfast. So that must be around 7am, I guess. At night, the boulangerie transforms into a cozy wine brasserie. Day or night, for sure I will keep coming back to get my fill again of these wonderful to-die-for "pains"!

No comments: